The twin-towered Roman Catholic Church. The huge building was restored for the Pope's visit of Uganda. It has great historical significance in the history of the catholic church. The transept is a memorial to the Uganda Martyrs (dozens of Ugandan Christians burnt to death by Kabaka Mwanga II in 1885 and 1886 for refusing to renounce the white man's religion), 22 Catholic victims, later declared saints, are enshrined in the stained-glass windows. It overlooks the city and is a large complex that takes in various functions of the church and surrounded by beautiful trees plus flowers. It is also situated on a hill with a great scenery view of Kampala city. Built in 1914, the cathedral houses the remains of the late Arcbishop Joseph Kiwanka (June 25, 1899 - February 22, 1966), the first African Catholic Bishop and the first African Archbishop of Kampala Diocese, are housed inside the cathedral.
St Mary's Church, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda, Lubaga, UGANDA